Renzo Gracie Shoreline
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) is a highly effective close range grappling art that has totally changed the martial arts community over the last decade. Originating from traditional Japanese Jiu-Jitsu, the art was developed and refined by the Gracie family of Brazil to focus on ground fighting techniques. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is designed as a system that maximizes leverage and body positioning to overcome larger, more powerful opponents. BJJ emphasizes the use of submission techniques; such as chokes, cranks, and joint manipulations. Classes start with a conditioning warm-up and lots of drilling. Techniques are then taught and practiced with partners. We finish each class with sparring.
Brazilian jiu-jitsu is a grappling-based martial art whose central theme is the skill of controlling a resisting opponent in ways that force him to submit. Due to the fact that control is generally easier on the ground than in a standing position, much of the technique of Brazilian jiu-jitsu is centered round the skill of taking an opponent down to the ground and wrestling for dominant control positions from where the opponent can be rendered harmless.
Our Mission Statement
- To understand, practice and teach personal and professional goals, motivation, self discipline, self confidence, and self worth within a martial arts structure.
- To be on time, friendly, and concerned about each person and their individual needs and progress.
- To listen to our students so we may understand and learn from them.
- To teach cooperative learning by partnered training and goal setting.
- To constantly seek better ways to upgrade our curriculum.
- To teach how to protect yourself both physically and mentally.
- To constantly evolve and expand our knowledge so that we can provide you with the BJJ experience available anywhere.
- To provide you with a safe and exciting environment where you can excel to the best of your individual ability.
Renzo Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Benefits
In addition to the overall benefits of a rigorous fitness program, you will enjoy unique benefits as a member of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu program:
- You will be taught authentic Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, the Gracie way
- You will experience a great martial arts workout
- Our official Renzo Gracie belt promotions and will be recognized by any other Academy
- You can train for FREE as a visitor at any Renzo Gracie Academy in the world
- Attend seminars conducted by Black Belt World Champions and Pro UFC MMA fighters
- You will also be invited to participate in RGA sponsored field trips to Brazil to train
- You will be eligible to compete in the annual Renzo Gracie Invitational Tournament in NY
- 7 Classes FREE!!!!
To control and overcome greater size, strength and aggression with lesser size and strength is the keynote of the sport. This is done by utilizing superior leverage, grip and position upon your opponent. Students of the sport gain a deep understanding of the workings and limits of the human body.
This knowledge can be used to subdue and control an opponent with whatever level of severity the student chooses. The path to this knowledge is physically and mentally demanding. Students benefit from greatly increased physical fitness, problem-solving ability, self-knowledge of their body and mind and the many social benefits of working within a large group of like-minded fellow students as you learn and have fun together.
Many students first learn about jiu-jitsu through the great popularity of mixed martial arts (MMA) competition, where Brazilian jiu-jitsu technique is very prominent. Indeed, the beginnings of the contemporary MMA competition were largely tied up with proving the combat-efficiency of Brazilian jiu-jitsu. The practice of Brazilian jiu-jitsu as a sport, however, is strongly separated from MMA. Daily classes do not feature kicking or punching. The focus is on safe grappling technique that can be done on a daily basis with no more fear of injury than any other contact sport. While the great majority of students studying the grappling sport find that it is very enjoyable and fun training, BJJ is a reality based art which takes hard work and years of dedicated practice to master.
When you join The Renzo Gracie Shoreline Academy you become part of a family. The Renzo Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Program is designed for the person whose primary desire is to learn self-defense on the ground with a focus on technique and fitness. We also offer Jiu-Jitsu Competition training for the student that wishes to be active on the Tournament scene. Every student is different and whether it is Self Defense you’re looking for, Tournament training or just to get in shape we have a program designed for you and to meet your needs. Give it a try!